Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taxes

It's tax season and people around the country are finishing up (or already finished) reporting their income and paying their taxes. Meanwhile, at InterAction I'm writing a paper on Innovative Financing for Development, which addresses a variety of tax options on currency transactions, financial transactions or big banks as a way to raise money for development and global health programs.  At  the same time, Congress is fighting over the budget and while taxes aren't really part of the fight, they actually are.

On that note, I want to make a few points
1. We do have a budget problem, and we do need to work to balance it
2. Cutting from the "non-defense discretionary budget" will not balance the budget. Even if we eliminated the entire "non-defense discretionary" budget, we'd still have a deficit
3. Some programs absolutely cannot be cut
4. The proposals put forth in HR 1 would be like pulling the safety net out from under a tightrope walker.  People all over the country (and the world) live day to day, week to week, and do not have a secure financial future.  The proposed cuts take away any safety net they have.
5. There are other ways to balance the budget than just cutting spending (hint: look at the title of this post).

So here's my recommendation, and before I continue, don't get your hopes up, this isn't a complete solution, and I'm not going to go into a ton of detail because I haven't studied the numbers very carefully, but I have enough to present a basic idea.

MY RECOMMENDATION: raise taxes (shhh...don't tell the rich beneficiaries of the Bush tax cuts that I said this).

 I'm not saying to raise taxes on everybody.  In fact in most cases I wouldn't even say raise taxes, I'd simply eliminate tax cuts to the wealthy.  Along with that, we need to close corporate tax loopholes.  There are far too many deductions, shelters and other tax-reducing tactics that big businesses use to avoid paying their fair share. I'm not going to propose a solution to our tax problems right now, but we need to work on our tax policies.  Americans expect services from the government, but we don't want to pay for them. Take a look at most European countries.  They pay far higher taxes than we do, yet we expect most of the same services, that's unrealistic.  We need to take a good hard look at what we expect from our government, and what we are willing to pay to get it.

I'm thinking I'll need to come back with a more detailed post on this later, but this is all I have time for now.  Remember, I'm not saying we should raise taxes on everyone, but we do need to at least have taxes on the table as we seek to solve our budget issues.

44 comments:

  1. One of the biggest problems with the current tax system now is that there is a tax gap of $345 billion between what is owed and what is paid (according to Freakonomics http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06E0DA1430F931A35757C0A9609C8B63). This would not cover the entire deficit, but it would be a start. I agree we should reform the tax code and close loopholes, but I would suggest moving to a new system such as a flat tax that would make collecting taxes much easier and much more transparent. It would also get rid of the incentives that are distorting our economy and the loopholes that the rich can often use to pay lower taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we need to fill in that gap between what is paid and what is owed. On the other hand, I disagree in regards to a flat tax. I actually think a flat tax is a quite dangerous suggestion. Those who make more are more capable of contributing to our country, and those who make just enough(or not enough) to scrape by don't. They shouldn't have to pay the same rate of taxes as those who make millions. We can close loopholes and get rid of incentives for tax evasion without balancing the budget on the backs of the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purchasing a home is always an exciting experience. When you make an offer on a property through the Multiple Listing Service or at a Trustee sale, it's always a good idea to review the chain of title. At a Trustee Sale you may purchase a Tucson Tax title report, also referred to as a Trustee Sale Guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father's are the backbone of families. Without them, it is impossible to even think of a family surviving. They work hard to earn and to fulfill the needs of the family.
    Fathers Day Quotes Funny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blog frequently and I really appreciate your content. Your article has really peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new details about once per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too. Captions for Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very accurate information… Appreciate your sharing this one. A must read articl american football prediction sites

    ReplyDelete
  7. This information is magnificent. I understand and respect your clear-cut points. I am impressed with your writing style and how well you express your thoughts. Best Friend Wishes For Friendship Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sewing Machines… [...]any time to read or go to the content or perhaps internet sites we certainly have associated with[...]… casey anthony now 2018 grand parents day

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello, your website is really good. We do appreciate your give good results pandora cyan apk [url=https://androidapkwala.com/pandora-apk/]pandora cyan apk[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  10. lambingan
    This is such a great post, and was thinking much the same myself. It’s certainly an opinion I agree with.
    Enjoyed this article. I believe that the writer took an rationale perspective and made some pivotale ideas.
    Aw, it was an extremely good post. In notion I must place in writing such as this moreover – spending time and actual effort to make a really good article… but so what can I say… I procrastinate alot and no means apparently go completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Information technology professionals describe requirements first in terms of system requirements. These are the technical specifications of hardware, software and networking systems to support business applications. To produce accurate and reliable assessments of these and other information systems requirements, we need to understand the business requirements first. Information technology can make dramatic contributions to productivity growth. Misaligned requirements payday faq lead to expensive disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A business broker is a person or firm who/which acts as an intermediary between sellers and buyers of small businesses. The process of buying or selling a business requires dedication and the attention of a professional with the knowledge of the complete flow of convert money online business transaction, as well as a team in place to accomplish every aspect of the transfer

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great number of small business owners have a constant urge to expand. Of course, the mere idea of expanding and becoming a "big" business known to thousands and millions of people is fascinating. https://cad.cheapsoftwaredownload.net/lumion.html, expansion is not all about finding a new office space and hiring new employees to fill the vacant seats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you want to be an Entrepreneur or a Small Business Owner? Is there a difference, and does it matter? There is a difference, and it's easy to confuse the two or use the two terms interchangeably. As you prepare to become your own boss, or if you have already started a small business, it's important to keep your long-term vision in mind. Doing so will help you determine the type of business you start and build, helping ensure that you achieve your definition of success. buy lumion 9 pro

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this post. I definitely agree with what you are saying. I have been talking about this subject a lot lately with my brother so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed! solidworks analysis software

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I want to put in writing like this moreover ?taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article?however what can I say?I procrastinate alot and on no account seem to get one thing done. old cad software for sale

    ReplyDelete
  17. Attorneys, law firms, lawyers, beneficiaries or clients usually form lawsuit-financing companies. Lawsuit financing companies can also provide appeal finance, firm finance, custom finance or estate finance. investment pyramid

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe one of your ads caused my internet browser to resize, you might want to put that on your blacklist. 먹튀스토어

    ReplyDelete
  19. informatii interesante si utile postate pe blogul dumneavoastra. dar ca si o paranteza , ce parere aveti de cazarea la particulari ?. 먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete
  20. Over the past few months I have watched bitcoins value rise exponentially. I had no idea what bitcoin was and never even heard of crypto currency a few months ago. But with the recent government and media attention crypto currencies have received, they have gotten everyone's attention. amazon

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you are a professional property developer, you know the challenges of getting huge amount of funding for your project. It is a long and challenging process. So, you must opt for a professionally qualified and specialised finance broker. He/she will make things simpler for you. Qubittech

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you are a professional property developer, you know the challenges of getting huge amount of funding for your project. It is a long and challenging process. So, you must opt for a professionally qualified and specialised finance broker. He/she will make things simpler for you. earn bitcoin for free

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you are looking to buy a truck, trailer or any other commercial vehicle for your business, this handbook will help you in choosing the most suitable truck and the right truck financing arrangement. Also, it will explain you the benefits of employing the services of an expert finance broker. Payday Loans Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  24. Using social media marketing strategies with SEO. Social media strategies like Twitter marketing can be used to increase your website's ranking in Google. Social media will help to grow the number of backlinks to your site and increase the number of visitors to your website as well. email template builder

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you are a professional property developer, you know the challenges of getting huge amount of funding for your project. It is a long and challenging process. So, you must opt for a professionally qualified and specialised finance broker. He/she will make things simpler for you. UnitedFinances.com offer $500 bad credit loan

    ReplyDelete
  26. When comparing your bank financing to an independent equipment finance company, you have to make sure you are evaluating all the key parameters, not just one. Clearly, the fine print and terms of the transaction are more important than the big numbers. Banks work well within their space, but have proven time and again not to be as flexible or solution-oriented as an independent finance company which solely focuses on business lending can be. اسعار العملات الرقمية

    ReplyDelete
  27. If you are a professional property developer, you know the challenges of getting huge amount of funding for your project. It is a long and challenging process. So, you must opt for a professionally qualified and specialised finance broker. He/she will make things simpler for you. adult url shortener

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been speaking to people, and I don't know if it's because we're in the first quarter of a new year or if there's more confidence in the economy, but I've realized that many more people are looking to start their own businesses. As a business owner and social entrepreneur, I think that's a great thing. I'm often asked about my thoughts about starting a new venture, and candidly, I love the adrenaline rush, vision driving and strategy development of a new business opportunity. trading app

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whether they are in route sales, pre-order, delivery or equipment service, many companies want to consolidate their operational route accounting functions and activities into one seamless and efficient integrated software system. They want the data to be collected, shared and accessed across departments. They dream of an operational route accounting ERP software solution that facilitates the streaming and distribution of company-wide information on every desktop and mobile device. smm panel

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. buy 10k tiktok followers

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am contemplating this topic. I think you can solve my problems. My site is at . I hope you can help me. smm panel instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  32. When we are trying to understand Personal Finance, the best thing to do is to understand what Personal Finance is NOT. Many people think that accounting and personal finance are the same, but Personal Finance is NOT Accounting. On the surface they may seem the same; they both have something to do with money. MotoRefi Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  33. People often have trouble understanding the word "tradeoff", sure enough it's easy enough to understand as exchange but in today's corporate parlance it is meant as exchange of one commodity as a cost for another. I was playing Final Fantasy's Dissidia on the good old PSP yesterday when I marveled at the game's replay value, yes I have spent over 50 hours on it already, which is what this entire topic is all about. Normally if you look at the oldest games like Mario and Dave, they had one thing unanimously common, addiction to it. login binomo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mining rigs for sale with worldwide delivery. We are a team of professionals with experience in Blockchain Management, Offline Sales, and Melhor mineradora de bitcoin Mining. Innosilicon g32 grin miner and best miner for lyra2rev2. As experts in Asic mining rigs for sale, we are specialists in reselling Antminer hardware since 2017! We exclusively sell products of the manufacturer and brand Bitmain so we can offer you great service and the best online pricing. ibelink, ibelink Asic, ibelink bm-k1, bitmain antminer s13 pro, bitcoin miners.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very good knowledge, This information is essential and informative which you have shared here. It is beneficial for beginners to develop their knowledge. It is very gainful information. Thanks once again for sharing it. Smm Panel Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am contemplating this topic. I think you can solve my problems. My site is at . I hope you can help me. buy 10k twitter followers

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for putting all these strategies into a very readable place. It shows your ability and great skills. keep sharing such article in future. Smmpanel

    ReplyDelete
  38. As Australia is currently rated as one of the best places in the world to open a business, Brisbane is certainly not a bad choice for budding entrepreneurs or businesses looking to expand. The capital city of Queensland, Brisbane boasts a huge population of over 2 million people, with a vast array of industries and sectors represented. Crypto news

    ReplyDelete
  39. The birth of bitcoin in 2009 opened doors to investment opportunities in an entirely new kind of asset class - cryptocurrency. Lots entered the space way early. abra app

    ReplyDelete
  40. The birth of bitcoin in 2009 opened doors to investment opportunities in an entirely new kind of asset class - cryptocurrency. Lots entered the space way early. wazirx

    ReplyDelete
  41. The birth of bitcoin in 2009 opened doors to investment opportunities in an entirely new kind of asset class - cryptocurrency. Lots entered the space way early. bybit referral code

    ReplyDelete
  42. 14 Strategies We Attribute to Our Recent Business Excellence Award - Out of the blue, I received an email from the Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce one day notifying me that we were nominated for a 2016 Business Excellence award. Say what? Once I got past my shock and disbelief that they must have the wrong Susan. prize bond schedule

    ReplyDelete